ONJava.com -- The Independent Source for Enterprise Java

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Article:
  Daddy, Are We There Yet? A Discussion with Alan Kay
Subject:   Interesting... but how?
Date:   2003-04-05 11:39:43
From:   anonymous2
Response to: Interesting... but how?

> how is typing a bunch of formulas into a computer any
> better than memorizing them? In either case, the student
> has no direct personal experience with the principles involved.

This is exactly the point Kay's work has addressed over the past thirty years. Writing a program is not a means to some other, pre-defined end, in exactly the same way that writing a piece of music is not a means to an end. Writing the program, like composing the music, like any other sophisticated, structured creative activity, is about exploring the world and how we can know it. Kay's work points out that computing is a way of knowing the world in the same way that music is a wayt of knowing the world. Forget the means-ends trap and you begin to see what he's been on about all this time.

1 to 1 of 1
  1. Interesting... but how?
    2003-04-05 19:25:30  anonymous2 [View]

1 to 1 of 1