Thank you very much for the very helpful article. I have an Entourage Database that I need to backup on a regular basis. I've got a few questions about the solution in the tutorial.
1) I see this article was written in 2002, should it still work in Panther 10.3.x? Or have too many things changed?
2) Will this solution work weather the user is logged in or not?
3) If the user is logged in, is there a way to make sure that Entourage is not running. And, if so, that it is properly quit saving open windows. I ask because I could imagine that the copy could go wrong if that user receives and email during the copy.
4) I think I will use hdiutil instead of ditto, or I will use ditto to a disk image. Would hdiutil work in place of ditto?
5) I'd like for this to run daily, but I only want last two days to be saved. So for instance, if it ran on Mon. and Tues. it would result in two files (i.e. "Backup [Mon. date]" and "Backup [Tues. date]"). Then on Wed. Monday's backup would be deleted and Wednesday's written.
Your help or comments on any of this will be greatly appreciated.