Since my key was putting localhost into the key I figured that would not
be a very helpful to identify a remote host...
I assume you mean by this that your public key file had something like
"username@localhost" at the end of the line. That is a comment, and it
does not matter or affect anything in any way. "Fixing" it was
After changing the hostname I figured it would be a good idea to
regenerate the server keys before generating my personal keys.
Also unnecessary; the server host keys have no connection with the
hostname, except inasmuch as they are associated with hostnames in various
Then after I generated my personal key and uploaded it as the filename as
in the article it started to work for me.
See my earlier post here; you may not want to leave things this way, as
anyone who steals your laptop will have easy access to your remote