ONJava.com -- The Independent Source for Enterprise Java

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Article:
  Apache Web-Serving with Mac OS X: Part 1
Subject:   Why not iTools?
Date:   2002-01-04 06:50:39
From:   morbus
Response to: Why not iTools?

Well, it depends how you look at things. I can sorta agree with your HTML thing, but I *still* use BBEdit to hand code and hand design all my pages - and my first site appeared in 1997. I've never used a WYSIWIG editor for layout - may have used Photoshop once or twice to quickly jot an idea, but I never depend or trust on a WYSIWIG's ability to create what I mean.

>In the case of building a Web server, is the
>situation the same, i.e., is it better to start
>out by hand, and then perhaps combine with a
>visual tool like iTools?

Depends on the purpose or mission. If I'm building a webpage for my dog, I don't really care that it won't show in IE 3.0. But if I'm building an Amazon, then yeah, it better work in Mosaic too.

Same thing with webservers - if I'm going to build a tiny testbed for my PHP coding, or just to sample some CGI or SSI code before I make the junk live, then yeah, a visual editor will save you some time. But if you're actually going to build a webserver that needs to be good at what it does, then I definitely lean toward "learn everything there is and baby it with loving care".