ONJava.com -- The Independent Source for Enterprise Java

AddThis Social Bookmark Button
Article:
  JBoss: Sun Needs Us
Subject:   Jakarta isn't just Sun/IBM
Date:   2002-03-21 18:35:24
From:   jhunter
As someone involved with Jakarta, I find this statement odd:

> Jakarta is not an open source project
> in the pure community sense anymore.
> It is dominated by Sun/IBM employees.

The people most actively involved with Jakarta are listed at the URL http://jakarta.apache.org/site/whoweare.html.

As you can see for yourself, Sun and IBM have just one representative each on the PMC. And I should point out Craig from Sun was hired by Sun only after he was already prominent in Apache so he could work full time on Apache projects of interest to Sun.

The committers list isn't complete but it shows just four individuals I believe currently work at Sun or IBM. A small handful beyond that are ex employees of Sun or IBM, but their involvement did not start and end at employment. That, in my opinion, indicates Jakarta is a healthy open source project in the "pure community sense".

1 to 1 of 1
  1. Jakarta isn't just Sun/IBM
    2002-03-22 02:54:14  ceki [View]

1 to 1 of 1