Thanks for a very informative series. It's been a great help to me and just about convinced me to dump MS IIS and move on over to Mac OS X with Apache!
One thing, though...
I've ALMOST got that ding-dang .htaccess deal working, but not quite. Perhaps you can see what I've missed...
After successfully making .htpasswd, I created a .htaccess file with the following in it:
AuthName "Uber Goober Ad Campaign"
I put .htaccess in /Library/WebServer/Documents, but it has no effect. Index.shtml is served up and no authentication is requested when the server is accessed.
I'm pretty sure I've got .htpasswd correctly built cuz authentication WILL work for the ENTIRE Website if I put the Auth lines in httpd.conf.
I should also mention that httpd.conf contains the following:
Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews Includes
Allow from all
Thanks for your help!