Apache Web-Serving with Mac OS X, Part 4
Subject:   Almost, But Not Quite: .htaccess - SOLVED!
Date:   2002-04-11 09:37:05
From:   jgbutler
Response to: Almost, But Not Quite: .htaccess

I finally solved the mystery!

The culprit: BBEdit!

I used BBEdit to create a new .htaccess file cuz I didn't know nuthin bout no pico or vi or whatever. I had been using BBEdit to change httpd.conf and such and it worked just fine, but unbeknownst to me it had created .htaccess with MAC-style line-breaks, not UNIX-style ones.

The bastid!

I guess cuz httpd.conf was a pre-made file it already had Unix line breaks and BBEdit kept it that way, but when I created a NEW file, it decided that Mac line breaks would be ever so much nicer. I only figured this out after poking around in BBEdit's "save as" options. Once I changed the "save as" to Unix line breaks, password authentication began working like a charm.

I guess the Mac-Unix convergence ain't exactly all converged and such.


1 to 1 of 1
  1. Kevin Hemenway photo Almost, But Not Quite: .htaccess - SOLVED!
    2002-04-16 17:20:08  Kevin Hemenway | O'Reilly AuthorO'Reilly Blogger [View]

    • Almost, But Not Quite: .htaccess - SOLVED!
      2002-05-02 09:16:37  naclay [View]

      • Almost, But Not Quite: .htaccess - SOLVED!
        2002-07-15 13:27:06  jgbutler [View]

1 to 1 of 1