Weblog:   The Fuss About Gmail and Privacy: Nine Reasons Why It's Bogus
Subject:   The advertising
Date:   2005-10-18 11:14:14
From:   anon2
Response to: The advertising

> I have stated that context-based advertising
> inserted into private communications is wrong.

First of all, it's not inserted into, it's added alongside of the email. There's a big difference.

It's not wrong if the people who are seeing the context-based advertising don't mind. I actualy *like* seeing their ads because sometimes they alert me to products that I'm interested in. If you as an email sender really have that much of a problem with ads being put next to your email, then don't send mail to @gmail.com. It's quite simple. Gmail is not being covert about it.

Also, you might eventually realize that businesses are always forced to deal with a changing world and the affect that the changes put on their business. I'm sure blacksmiths were not very happy when the automobile came along. Would you have had us outlaw cars to protect the interests of the blacksmiths? I think not. Businesses have to adapt to the demands of a changing marketplace. Those that don't get left behind. Those that do are successful.