Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or concerns about this Policy. If we do not resolve your question or concern satisfactorily, then please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
O’Reilly Media, Inc. has received TRUSTe’s Privacy Seal certifying that this Policy and our practices comply with the TRUSTe program viewable on the validation page available by clicking the TRUSTe seal. The TRUSTe certification only covers information collected on the O’Reilly websites listed on the validation page, and to our conference specific mobile applications that link to this Policy.
O’Reilly Media, Inc. complies with the U.S.–EU Safe Harbor Framework and the U.S.–Swiss Safe Harbor Framework set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal data from the European Economic Area and from Switzerland. You can learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and view our Safe Harbor certification at http://www.export.gov/safeharbor.
1. Information We Collect As used in this Policy, personal Information (“PI”) means information that can be directly associated with you (such as your name, email address, telephone number or billing information), or information about activities directly linked to you (such as products, services, or conference admissions that you have purchased). You agree that you will not provide us with the PI of anyone other than yourself unless you first obtain the consent of the person on whose behalf you will be providing PI to us.
We collect PI in the following ways:
1.1 Information that you provide to us directly
When you contact or communicate with O’Reilly, we may gather PI such as your name, age, physical address, email address and phone number.
When you participate in a promotional offer (such as a trial subscription) and/or purchase products or services, we may gather PI regarding the offer that you participate in, and any products or services that you purchase, as well as payment information.
When you register for an online account, make a purchase, subscribe to a newsletter, participate in communities or an event, program, class or promotion, or click on a URL, we may gather user preferences, product interests, industry focus, community choices and other customer profile information.
Our website offers publicly accessible areas where users may contribute content and other information. Any PI that you provide in these areas may be read, collected and used by others.
We may provide you the opportunity to participate surveys on our website. If you participate, we will request certain personally identifiable information from you. The requested information typically includes contact information (such as name and shipping address), and demographic information (such as zip code). As participation in these surveys is voluntary, you need not provide this information if you do not participate.
You can log in to our website using third party sign-in services such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter or an Open ID provider. These services will authenticate your identity and provide you with the option to share certain personal information with us such as your name and email address to pre-populate our sign up form(s). Third party services like Facebook Connect give you the option to post information about your activities on our website to your profile page on third party services to share with others within your network on those services.
1.2 Information we collect through technology related to our products and services
Certain products and services, such as our mobile conference applications, may connect and transmit telemetry and system/product data to us or our authorized agents. This data may include, but is not limited to, system model, mobile carrier, operating system, host ID, location, IP address and other information used to collect aggregate data on app usage, downloads, sessions, and frequency of use.
We use this information to manage and administer our products, services and events, and as the basis for advising you of the availability of updates and new versions, providing testing and monitoring of services provided to you, enhancing our products and services, and improving and targeting our communications with you.
When using our mobile applications we may collect your geo-location data in order to help provide you with conference services near you. If you have previously consented to the collection of your geo-location and no longer wish to have it used, you can turn it off at the device level.
1.3 Information we collect through other online technology
Cookies, web beacons and similar technologies enable us to collect information about your visits to our websites, such as:
- Internet Protocol Address
- Browser type
- Operating system
- Referring website (website you visited before coming to our website)
- Date and time of visit
- City and country of email address
- URL of pages visited
- Other browsing behavior, such as products and white papers downloaded
Most browsers allow you to remove and block cookies and web beacons. If you do so, you will need to re-enter your user name and password to access certain parts of our websites and you will only have access to generic content that is not focused on your specific interests. Also, you may not be able to use certain website features or take full advantage of our offerings.
We use local shared objects, also known as Flash cookies, to store your preferences (such as your video and ebook preferences), or to personalize your website visits by displaying content based upon what you have viewed on our website. Third parties, with whom we partner to provide certain features on our website or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity, use Flash cookies to collect and store information.
Flash cookies and browser cookies are differentiated by the amount, type, and method by which data is stored. Cookie management tools provided by your browser will not remove Flash cookies. To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies click here:
We use mobile analytics tools to improve our understanding of the functionality of our mobile apps and content on your phone. These tools may record information such as how often you use the application, the events that occur within the application, aggregated usage, and performance data, the site or app store from which you downloaded the app. We also use this information to inform app design development and updates. We do not link the information we store within the analytics tools to any PI you submit within the mobile app.
1.4 Do Not Track
California law requires us to let you know how we respond to web browser Do Not Track (DNT) signals. Because there currently isn’t an industry or legal standard for recognizing or honoring DNT signals, we don’t respond to them at this time. We await the result of work by the privacy community and industry to determine when such a response is appropriate and what form it should take.
1.5 Information from other sources
From time-to-time we may receive information from other sources, such as commercial contact lists or companies that we acquire, and we may combine that information with information previously collected, including information collected in connection with your use and interaction with our other products, services, and websites.
2. How We Use Information We Collect We use PI to conduct business, provide information and support for products and services, improve our understanding of your needs and interests, develop and improve our services and products, and personalize communications. Examples include:
- Advising you of relevant promotions, products, services, and news about O’Reilly and affiliated third parties
- Processing and fulfilling orders
- Responding to customer service requests
- Creating and monitoring accounts
- Conducting market research projects
- Analyzing how our products and services are used
- Personalizing content and advertising
- Monitoring our services in order to prevent and identify unauthorized content use and violations of our end user agreements
- Planning and forecasting
- Maintaining legal compliance
- Preventing fraud and prohibited or illegal activities
We use information collected directly from you in order to monitor website traffic, personalize our website, and to improve our website and mobile applications.
3. How We Share and Disclose PI We will not sell your information to third party companies for their promotional use, however we may share with or disclose your PI to:
- Companies related to O’Reilly, in order to support business and marketing processes.
- Service providers and suppliers, who are authorized to use PI only as necessary to provide services to us. For example, we use a third party payment processor to bill you for purchases of goods and services, and an email service provider to send communications to you on our behalf.
- Sponsors of events, products, or services that we make available to you, and organizations with whom we make co-branded events, products or services available (the sponsors and co-branding participants are identified when you provide PI to us in the course of registering for the event including participant listings, purchasing or signing up to receive the product or service, or when you otherwise indicate to us that you are going to participate in, purchase, or take advantage of the co-branded offering).
- Government agencies, law enforcement agencies and others, based on a good faith belief that disclosure is necessary to respond to judicial process, valid government inquiry, or is otherwise required by law.
- The buyer or other transferee, if O’Reilly or portion of our business is sold or transferred (in which case you will be notified via a notice on our website of the sale or transfer, any related changes regarding uses of your PI, and any choices that you may have regarding your PI).
- Other third parties for purposes to which you have consented.
- Other users of and participants in of our wikis, forums, blogs, message boards, chat rooms, profile pages, comment fields and other social network environments, to the extent of any PI that is posted there by you or by someone else whom you have authorized to do so.
Our website includes links to other websites whose privacy practices may differ from those of O’Reilly. If you submit PI to any of those websites, your information is governed by their privacy policies, which we encourage you to review carefully. We may share with or disclose your PI as necessary, if we suspect a violation of our policies or to protect the rights or safety of any person or entity. We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our website in addition to other endorsements. With your consent we may post your testimonial along with your name. Information, such as your public profile and information or material (including images) that you in the course of your participation in public or community events and activities make available via our sites, and aggregated or anonymized information, may be shared by us without restriction. You acknowledge that when you make information or material public in the course of participating in public or community activities, we are not responsible for its collection by others, or their subsequent use of it.
4. Notice and Choice We provide notice about our use of PI in this Policy, in our web pages, and in other locations where we collect PI. You can choose whether or not to provide PI to us. If you choose not to provide PI, you may not be able to take advantage of certain offers, options, website features, events and services that depend upon accurate PI. To request the removal of your PI, please see the “Access and Accuracy” section of this Policy. That section also contains information about making changes with respect to some specific aspects of our website and your website activities.
5. Onward Transfer We will only share PI with third parties if those third parties provide an adequate level of data protection to help ensure the security of personal data.
6. Security O’Reilly uses administrative, technical, and physical safeguards to protect the security, confidentiality and integrity of PI against loss, misuse and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. In addition, we use standard security protocols and mechanisms (such as secure socket layer [SSL] encryption) to transmit sensitive data such as payment details. You can assist us in protecting your PI by keeping your password and login information secret, and making sure that you terminate user sessions, close the browser, and log out when you access our services from shared computers. Please note that no method of transmission over the internet, nor any method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
7. Access and Accuracy; Updating, Correcting or Deleting Personal Information It is important to us to maintain the accuracy of your contact information. This section of the Policy concerns updating, correcting, and/or deleting PI. O’Reilly Media Requests to Access or Update Information: If you need to update, correct, or request the deletion or deactivation of your information please do so by email at email@example.com. You also may update your information by writing to:O’Reilly Media, Inc.
Attn: Online Marketing
1005 Gravenstein Hwy North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
We will make reasonable efforts to incorporate the changes as soon as possible. Before we make changes, we may ask you to verify your identity and/or provide other details. We may keep a copy of the prior information for our records. We provide individuals with reasonable access to their PI in order to have it corrected, amended or deleted where it is inaccurate or inappropriate for the specified purposes of processing. We will respond to all requests for access within 30 days. We will retain your information (including geo-location data) for as long as your account is active, and as necessary to provide you services, to comply with our legal obligations, to resolve disputes, and to enforce our agreements. Marketing Communications: To opt-out from or change your marketing communications preferences, follow the opt-out instructions included in the relevant newsletter or communication. Please note that your marketing communication preferences do not affect transactional, relationship, and/or legally required communications. PI Posted in Blogs: To request removal of your PI from one of our blogs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your PI. In that case, we will let you know. Personal Testimonials: If you wish to update or delete your personal testimonial, you can contact us at email@example.com.
8. Children’s Privacy O’Reilly’s websites and marketing are not directed to children under 13 years of age.
9. Transfers of PI Outside the U.S. O’Reilly transacts business throughout the world and has operations, processes and systems that cross borders. By providing us with information, including PI, you agree and acknowledge that we may transfer it within O’Reilly in the United States and to affiliates, joint venture partners, and third party service providers around the world.
10. Questions or Concerns: Contact Us O’Reilly regularly reviews its compliance with this Policy. Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns regarding this Policy or O’Reilly’s treatment of PI by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by writing to us at:O’Reilly Media, Inc.
Attn: Online Marketing
1005 Gravenstein Hwy North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
11. Changes to this Privacy Please note that this Policy may change from time to time. We will not make material change that would reduce your rights under this Policy without your consent. If we make any material changes we will notify you by email (sent to the e-mail address specified in your account) or by means of a notice on our website prior to the change becoming effective. We will also keep prior versions of this Policy in an archive for your review.
12. Your Privacy Rights—Information Sharing Disclosure for California Residents O’Reilly’s policy is to share your PI only if you have given us your consent, for instance, by your agreeing to this Policy.After obtaining such consent, O’Reilly may from time to time provide its business partners with contact details for direct marketing purposes of relevant services, products, and programs. If you no longer wish your information to be shared, or if you have questions regarding our information sharing practices, please let us know. You can email us at email@example.com.
13. O’Reilly School of Technology O’Reilly School of Technology (“OST”), a division of O’Reilly, is committed to providing quality distance educational programs that foster exploration and achievement in a collaborative learning environment. If you become a student of OST, your PI is subject to this Policy and your educational records may also be subject to the U.S. Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), state laws and OST policies.
13.1 O’Reilly School of Technology Collection and Use Practices
When you sign up online to receive OST newsletters or products and OST news, you must provide your name and email address. We never sell or rent your email address or other PI that you provide us under these circumstances.
When you register for or enroll in a course or certificate series, you must provide your address, phone number, date of birth, and highest level of education completed. This information is kept confidential and will not be viewed by anyone other than authorized OST personnel and administration or our service providers; except if and when applicable by federal law for educational and policy purposes including (1) to school officials with a legitimate educational interest; (2) to other schools to which a student seeks or intends to enroll; (3) to education officials for audit and evaluation purposes; (4) to accrediting organization; (5) to parties in connection with financial aid to a student; (6) to organizations conducting certain studies for a school; (7) to comply with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena; (8) in the case of health and safety emergency; and (9) to state and local authorities within a juvenile justice system.
When you register for or enroll in a course or certificate series, we will send you email announcements, updates about OST courses and programs, and information about related products and services unless you inform us that you would like to be removed from such communications in accordance with the instructions provided in Section 13.2 below.
We do not store payment information or CCIDs on our servers. We require that payment processors that we use, to facilitate payments to OST, meet or exceed industry standards with respect to security and compliance.
13.2 O’Reilly School of Technology Requests to Access or Update Information
Updating OST Student Information: You may update your OST student information by logging into the Student Start Page: https://students.oreillyschool.com. If you are unable to retrieve your login information, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 707-827-7019.
Email that OST Sends You: To update or unsubscribe from our email newsletters or product announcements, please follow the opt-out instructions included in the relevant newsletter or communication or call 707-827-7019.
Paper OST Mailings: To change your address or delete your name from our mailing list for paper catalogs or brochures, send an email to email@example.com or call 707-827-7019.
13.3 Rights under FERPA
OST provides each student (or parent(s) of such student, if applicable) the right to inspect and review, request corrections to, or authorize the release of, student education records in accordance with FERPA. In addition, a student (or parent(s) of such student, if applicable) has certain rights with respect to “directory information” maintained by OST that is not considered fully private under FERPA, such as name, address and telephone number. To obtain more information about your or your child’s education records or student directory information, please contact us via one of the below methods:O’Reilly School of Technology
Attn: Student Services
1005 Gravenstein Hwy North
Sebastopol, CA 95472
14. Previous Version For the previous version please click here. This is version 2.1