Listening to Radio
The Hauppauge TV tuner card comes with a radio receiver and so you can also tune in to the radio using the Media Center. First, navigate to the Radio item (see Figure 46) and then press the OK button on the remote control.
Figure 46. Selecting the Radio menu item
Then, enter the frequencies of the radio stations you are interested in and save them. You can save up to nine stations (see Figure 47).
Figure 47. Saving radio channels
After this, simply select the preset radio channel and press the OK button on your remote control to listen to the selected channel.
You can also view photos on your media center by selecting the My Pictures menu item (see Figure 48).
Figure 48. Selecting the My Pictures menu item
You will see the pictures (organized in groups) saved on your current computer (see Figure 49).
Note: The fastest way to add photos to your media center is to copy them (from your digital camera, for example) and save them into the My Pictures folder within the My Documents folder.
Figure 49. Viewing pictures
You can select a particular group and then select the Play Slide Show item. Figure 50 shows the slide show in action.
Figure 50. Viewing a slide show
The main attraction of having a media center is the ability to watch TV on your computer. Before you can watch TV, though, you need to do some work. First, navigate to the Settings menu item (see Figure 51) and press the OK button on the remote control.
Figure 51. Selecting the Settings menu item
Next, follow these steps:
- Select TV and press OK.
- Select Set Up TV Signal and press OK. A warning prompt will be shown, alerting you that any recording in progress will be affected. Select Yes and press OK.
- In the Set Up Your TV Signal screen, select Next and press OK.
- You will be asked to select your region. Select your region and then select Next and press OK.
- You will now select the type of TV signal you receive (see Figure 52). Select the appropriate type and then select Next and press OK.
Figure 52. Choosing the type of TV signal you receive
- You will next be asked if you have a set-top box. For simplicity, I am not connecting to a set-top box. Select No and then Next and press OK.
- You will now configure the TV tuners (See Figure 53). If you have dual TV tuners (such as in the case of the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-500), select Two and then Next and press OK.
Figure 53. Selecting how many TV tuners to configure
That's it! You are done now. Depending where you are located, you may be able to receive guide listings for your TV programs. When you are done, select Return to TV Settings and then Finish and press OK.