Cybiko: no strings attached
by Rob Flickenger
I think they may have something here...
- PDA w/ rechargeable batteries
- Regular serial connection; easy connection to non-Win* OS
- Wireless in 900Mhz: no worries about trashing your 802.11 network
- peer-to-peer person finder
- IM (to anybody in range, and people are working on the AIM/ICQ/Jabber bridge)
- Live email to the net if you have two (and one is tethered).
- Probably going to be VERY prolific: Cybiko's goal is one in every school backpack...
- Free SDK
- Very low sticker price (when was the last time you bought a wireless device for under $100? Remote controls don't count... ;)
- No backlight.
- No modem.
- No touchscreen (altho that's a matter of personal opinion)
- Tiny (but usable) keyboard.
For the price, and assuming you've got a buddy to talk to, these things are really spiffy. One of the Seattle Wireless guys told me a funny story about sitting in a waiting room, playing multiplayer Go with someone else in the building, all because they have a builtin "Find Other Cybiko's" option. This thing is a perfect toy to hack upon...