Forgiveness

by M. David Peterson

"I think [forgiveness] may be the greatest virtue on earth, and certainly the most needed. There is so much of meanness and abuse, of intolerance and hatred. There is so great a need for repentance and forgiveness. It is the great principle emphasized in all of scripture, both ancient and modern.

Somehow forgiveness, with love and tolerance, accomplishes miracles that can happen in no other way."

--Gordon B. Hinckley, "Forgiveness," Ensign, Nov. 2005, 81



It is time for us to forgive. Please consider just this very act.

6 Comments

James Noyes
2008-02-05 07:22:09
A good movie. I agree with the sentiments of the author about Obama over Clinton. Let me, if I may, give you some points to ponder (probably not agree with) from a strict-constructionist, conservative POV:

  1. RE: Rovian Republicans - It is 100% true that the appalling tactics used by the Clintons are nearly identical to the tactics used by Carl Rove. It is only natural that they should be: From whom do you think Rove and the current batch of Republicans learned them? The Clintons kicked the crap out of the Republicans with those tactics getting Bill in the oval office. Getting your rear end handed to you is a quick way to learn, and Rove learned the lessons all too well. Washington will never get better until the politics of lies and mis-information are finished on both sides.

  2. Obama/Reagan - Although he is the polar opposite from Ronald W. Reagan in policy, I really see Obama as a "Reagan of the Left". Reagan came from relative obscurity and challenged the current day Republican Orthodoxy (Ford) by being inspirational and transformative. He stood on his principles and would not be swayed by the current political machinary. Obama is doing the exact same thing from the left.


Although I disagree with Obama's policy on mostly everything, I can't fault him for his character. Same can't be said of the Clintons. Well, Chelsea seems nice enough.

len
2008-02-05 14:30:19
I doubt you will even know what Obama's character is until tested. At least with Rove, we know exactly what those tests revealed. With Hillary, we know. With Obama, we don't.


Pretty speeches does not governance make. What I am concerned with is the left is making EXACTLY the same mistakes made by the right during the Bush years. You are hearing what you want to hear and salivating at precisely the time when you need to be a little less hope-driven and a little more informed as to what can work versus what you hope will but aren't sure of.


Perhaps you should look at the Kennedy legacy a little more seriously and understand just how much his was a failed administration even with a deified legacy. It was Lyndon Johnson who sponsored the space program long before JFK knew it existed. It was Johnson who did the heavy lifting in Congress when the Kennedy brothers were bungling foreign policy. If you want to lead a change for the future, you cannot rely on the models of the past to justify approaches that have little chance of succeeding.


Like it or not, success in the Beltway is an inside job where experience and allies make all the difference. Obama may one day be a great leader, but he has yet to prove he is a competent executive. This contest isn't about forgiveness even as it is now about race and gender and affiliation: the perceptions that drive the endorsements without consideration of the probable success of the plan.

M. David Peterson
2008-02-06 03:33:50
@James,


I don't see anything I really disagree with. I think we're on the same page for the most part. I probably agree with him on more issues than you do, but that doesn't mean I agree with him on everything. Not by a long shot in fact. I am far more right wing/conservative in my views than might be immediately obvious.


At this stage of the game, however, I see something happening in the Republican party that sends chills down my spine: McCain sitting in front runner status. If I had my druthers I would *LOVE* to see a match-up between Obama and Romney for the simple fact that for the first time in a *VERY* long time I feel that neither of them would be the wrong choice: They both would be great presidents. For completely different reasons, but none-the-less, great.


McCain scares the living hell out of me. He represents exactly what this country *does not need*. He believes his status as a POW makes him a hero, and that it is because he is a "hero" he is the most experienced person to keep us "safe". That's not what makes him a hero and that's not what's going to keep us safe. What made him a hero was his valiant service in the armed forces and what's going to keep us safe is making every attempt to understand why it is people want to bring harm upon us in the first place and then deal with each of the reasons in a humane and sane way.


From my perspective there are only two candidates who have proven they are willing to look to the root of the problem before attempting to solve that problem, a quality that is far too rare in our past and present leadership in this country. As already pointed out I believe those two candidates are Barack Obama and Mitt Romney. But unless a miracle is to make itself known, it doesn't look like Romney is going to be one of those choices, and while there's still a long way to go before we know who will be the Democratic Party candidate, Barack most certainly has the momentum and with what is basically a dead heat as far as delegates are concerned the candidate most likely to get the nomination. In this regard, Barack has my vote as between himself and John McCain it's not even a contest: Barack Obama wins that contest hands down.

M. David Peterson
2008-02-06 03:53:44
@len,


>> I doubt you will even know what Obama's character is until tested. At least with Rove, we know exactly what those tests revealed. With Hillary, we know. With Obama, we don't.


True. We won't know until he is tested. What we do know is what would happen if Hillary was in charge, and that in no way sounds appealing to me. Add to this the best response in the Republican debate thus far in which Romney highlighted the fact that what this country *does not need* is Bill Clinton in the White House looking for something to do, and what you have is exactly the type of situation this country does not need.


>> Pretty speeches does not governance make.


True.


>> What I am concerned with is the left is making EXACTLY the same mistakes made by the right during the Bush years.


I see that in the Clinton camp. I don't see that in the Obama camp.


>> You are hearing what you want to hear and salivating at precisely the time when you need to be a little less hope-driven and a little more informed as to what can work versus what you hope will but aren't sure of.


Well what I do know is that Hillary Clinton is the wrong choice. Hopefully a miracle does happen and Romney is able to pull things together and get the delegates he needs to win the Republican nomination. After Super Tuesday, however, it looks as if McCain has the front runner status locked, and if he is the one who ultimately gets the Republican Party nomination and Barack continues his momentum to gain the Democratic Party nomination then it is my salivary glands that are going to continue to drive forward my decision of who to vote for. Barack Obama inspires me. So does Romney. If we're lucky enough to have a choice between the two, then I assure you that choice is going to be a difficult one for me to make.


But between these two candidates, whichever choice I made I don't believe would be the wrong choice. Just a different choice for different reasons.


If we don't have that choice, however, and Barack gains the nomination, then the choice will be a simple one,


Barack Obama. While there's certainly more reasons than this, the primary reason is because he inspires. We haven't had much reason to feel inspired by our leaders for far too long. Inspiration is exactly what this country needs right now. And it's for this reason that if given a choice between Obama and McCain, Barack Obama gets my vote.

len
2008-02-06 06:16:12
Inspiration lasts about two weeks past the innaugural. Then it requires experience and ability to manage. You actually don't know what Hillary can do and if your candidate is running against Bill, you might want to read the ballot.


Bush inspired the evangelicals and the far right. It got us war, recession, a polarized nation and the biggest transfer of wealth to the upper classes in my lifetime. I think Hillary can do better. Nothing against Barack. He just doesn't have the depth even if he has the rock star status. We don't need a rock star. We need an executive. Barack's time will come. This isn't it.


Someone is going to pound us for using xml.com for this debate, so we might want to take this to our personal blogs.

M. David Peterson
2008-02-06 06:47:04
>> Someone is going to pound us for using xml.com for this debate, so we might want to take this to our personal blogs.


Point taken :D