Happy 1st Anniversary JXTA!
by Steve Anglin
Based on email to Sun's JXTA mailing list and a press release, significant items to date in the JXTA project's growth and progress include:
1. A new slate of startups using JXTA: Avaki, Cimpler, IAM, Improv, Inclusive, Infoglyptic, infonie GmbH, nDevia, R-Objects, Tryllian, VistaPortal.
2. A first-ever slate of larger, established organizations using JXTA: Boies, Schiller & Flexner, LLP; Ericsson Microwave AB; Hughes Network Systems; NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory; National Association of Realtors; Research In Motion; Siemens Corporate Technology; Sony Corporation of America; and the University of Maryland.
3. Implementations are available or underway in C, J2SE, J2ME, Objective-C, Perl, Python, Ruby, and SmallTalk.
For more information on JXTA and where it's at now, check out the following:
- Listen to Interview: 1 Year Later with Bill Joy (Real Player) (A Flash version will be available on jxta.org)
- Read Press Release
- O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference Tutorial: Writing JXTA Applications
- O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference Session: An Introduction to JXTA
- O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference: JXTA Community Meeting
- O'Reilly Network Articles on OpenP2P.com and ONJava.com
- O'Reilly Research's Emerging Technology Briefs: JXTA
What do you think of JXTA's progress over its first year?
well done to Sun's JXTA effort
Getting a useful mass of companies using JXTA was key. Good for them. JXTA has survived and seems to be thriving.