[Lessig:Economies of Culture] On Colors, Collaboration, and the Creative Commons

by M. David Peterson

Update: piers has added some fantastic commentary that I believe adds several keypoints of significance to this overall discussion,

KeyPoint:
>> There may be something to be gained from the recuperation of the other-space of "non-economy",


Keypoint:
>> however, it seems the free (as-in-speech) economy is already inherent in the software development triangle of resources, time and money...


Keypoint:
>> (or, even better, if you can turn your clients into a resource you can draw on for innovation, beta-testing, or information and editing, like wikipedia), the money side of the triangle approaches zero.


I agree 100%! From the software development standpoint, I believe these are some of the most fundamental areas in which we need to place focus such that we can bring Corporate America to our aid instead of to our detriment in regards to our fight for a "free-as-in-speech" culture.

While I recognize that the Free Software Foundation has *ALWAYS* been about free-as-in-speech software, unfortunately there is a free-as-in-beer side effect that in many ways has pigeon-holed their efforts into a "free-as-in-everything" type-cast. The problem with this, of course, is that you can't exactly build a business model and an underlying business economy on top of a donation-based revenue stream.

Actually, that's not true...

2 Comments

piers
2006-10-02 13:30:38
Agreed. This is an important seed idea, if for no other reason than that people rise to its defense (and for other reasons, as you pointed out). There may be something to be gained from the recuperation of the other-space of "non-economy", however, it seems the free (as-in-speech) economy is already inherent in the software development triangle of resources, time and money... as you increase the resources you can throw at a problem dramatically by drawing on an open-source community (or, even better, if you can turn your clients into a resource you can draw on for innovation, beta-testing, or information and editing, like wikipedia), the money side of the triangle approaches zero.


I don't see how the concept of multiple economies equates with a "false dichotomy", but this might just brand me as a neoliberal cretin.

M. David Peterson
2006-10-02 14:01:30
Hey piers,


>> I don't see how the concept of multiple economies equates with a "false dichotomy", but this might just brand me as a neoliberal cretin. <<


:D And you wouldn't want that! Oh the shame! ;) :D


>> Agreed. This is an important seed idea, if for no other reason than that people rise to its defense (and for other reasons, as you pointed out).


Ahhh.... Very well stated! I agree. This is what it's all about -- to get people thinking and moving forward with new ideas in regards to getting the communities more involved.


>> There may be something to be gained from the recuperation of the other-space of "non-economy",


There is for sure!


>> however, it seems the free (as-in-speech) economy is already inherent in the software development triangle of resources, time and money...


Yep!


>> (or, even better, if you can turn your clients into a resource you can draw on for innovation, beta-testing, or information and editing, like wikipedia), the money side of the triangle approaches zero.


I agree 100%! I'm going to bring this to the top, as I think that this point in and of itself, is one of the most fundamental areas that will enable the "free-as-in-speech" culture...


In other words... (will add these others words to the update :)


Thanks piers!