Quick Thoughts on MWSF2006 Keynote
by Chuck Toporek
Okay, so now that the SteveNote has sunk into my head a bit, here are some quick thoughts...
- I want to get a new MacBook Pro...ASAP!
- I still don't like the idea of having a built-in iSight camera on the new MacBook Pro, but maybe that will change?
- I want iLife '06 for two reasons:
- I have no reason to upgrade to iWork '06. Sorry, but 3D charts and new themes aren't enough for me to pay another $79 right now to upgrade to the latest version. I would have rather seen this as a $29.99 upgrade. Without a spreadsheet application, iWork '06 seems lackluster to me.
- Glad to see more stuff working with .Mac, but .Mac is still pricey when you consider that you're also paying $79 for iLife '06 to mesh the two together. Why couldn't there be a package deal or a discount on iLife '06 for existing .Mac members?
- MacBook Pro's shipping in February...Intel iMacs shipping today...okay, I think I can wait for the MacBook Pro
- Still no home theatre device :^(
So there you go, more stream-of-conscious thoughts for you. I'm heading back to the exhibit hall to play with the new software and hardware, and I'll have more to report on later.
I think the idea with building it in, is that if it's there, people might start using it for video conferencing, wheras few people would buy one purposefully for that reason - and you're limited in who you can call - but roll it out and gradually people will start using it.
Yup. My wife has a newish G4 iBook. I have an old G3 iBook. I'm going to buy a MacBook Pro, and when I do I'm likely to buy my wife an external iSight. Why? Well, what use is only having one?