XSLT 2, XPath 2, XQuery 1 ... Yeeaahhhhhh!
by Kurt Cagle
XSLT 2 started out as XSLT 1.1, an effort to try to solve some of the nastier, thornier issues of XSLT 1.0. Getting rid of the damned ext:node-set function that was a non-standard hack that became practically de rigour in XSLT processors, because there are many times where you want XML fragments to just act like XML. The introduction of a <xsl:function> tag so that you could call templates from with XPath. Multiple output serialization, support for tokenization and regular expressions. Take a look at EXSLT (http://www.exslt.org) sometimes, and you can see where many of us playing with XSLT 1.0 were seriously hoping XSLT 1.1 would become back in 2002-3.
Agreed... a big ** Thank You ** to all involved, including yourself and David. I am amazed at the ease with which you can create active pages and new feeds from old using just eXist, a pinch of XQuery, and XSLT2; and though it wasn't difficult to configure eXist from Xalan to Saxon, I don't see why you wouldn't want to do this.
|I've been using xslt for nearly 1 year now ... I just switched to python's pyxml and used xpath tools from that library. I really think xslt is useless ... 1/2 my dev team could not understand it ... and the tools were absolutely horrible. Python is the way to go for all xml processing.|
Tools are important. I've used Oxygen for years (www.oxygenxml.com) for doing most of my XSLT processing - works with XSLT1 and 2, contains an integrated debugger, and overall is probably one of the best XML editors I've worked for a long time.