My Daily Prowl
May. 11, 2002 09:15 AM
I have about a dozen blogs on my daily visit list. It can take up to 45 minutes a day to get through them, depending on how interested I am in what they have to say.
For reference sake, this is what the blog list of my bookmarks looks like:
- Snell's Blog (he's the lead author of Programming Web Services with SOAP)
- Sam Ruby's Radio Weblog (Sam is a major SOAP/Apache developer and while his focus on web services means I skip a lot, I often see interesting stuff there)
- RANT BOOJUM. Sarah's organizing this year's YAPC (and she needs to update her blog more often!)
- Axis of Aevil is thoughtful, funny, and artistically elegant. Just like Elaine.
- Neil Gaiman's Journal. Curiously addictive insight into the life of a professional author.
- Daypop Top 40 . This isn't a blog, but rather the top 40 URLs that blogs are linking to today. It's interesting to watch stories rise and fall (and I get a good dose of weird web sites from this)
- WHUMP dot COM: More Like This. This is an experiment--I'm not sure if I like the material, and I don't seem to follow the "more like this" links very often. I've found some interesting stuff this way, though.
- Dave Winer's Scripting News. Dave is a curious contradiction, prickly sometimes and a big fluffy bunny the next. Some of his hobbyhorses leave me cold (the "are blogs journalism" meme is a classic example) but others ring true (worse is better, the first five minutes are critical, ...). Even when I don't agree with what he says, I find it pays to know what he's saying!
- m's LiveJournal. She's a friend of mine and not only do I get to keep up with what she's doing, but I also get exposed to strange memes like people using their blogs to chronicle the lives of their Sims.
- Noopy.ORG is a fellow Perl programmer, and his journal reads like P.J. O'Rourke living Dilbert's life.
- Clinton's LiveJournal. Clint's also a Perl guy, and his observations on parenthood and domestic relations are often insightful and touching.
- Ask Bjoern Hansen is an Apache, mod_perl, Perl guy, and the chief sysadmin for perl.org. I need to keep up with what he's doing or I may wake up to find perl.org a CNAME for python.org :-)
- Smirking Chimp is a lefty blog of articles and opinion pieces, mostly railing against Dubya. Better organized and less frothy than bushnews.
- Raising Hell is my favourite of the lot. Every day I smile and recognize me or my kids in this fantastic blog.
- Boing Boing is the other place I get my weird website fix from. Cory, one of the editors of Boing Boing, is working on a book I'm editing.
- Meet me in St. Louis for YAPC is a blog of information preparing you for YAPC.
- Robot Wisdom. Where else would I find out about Latin obscenities.
- cursor.org is another lefty blog.
As you can tell, my daily reading list tells you a lot about myself. I'm a parent, a Perl programmer plugged into the Perl community, and a flaming liberal :-).
is conference planner for the Open Source Convention, OSCON Europe, and other O'Reilly conferences. He was project manager for Perl 6, is on the board of The Perl Foundation, and is a frequent speaker on open source topics. He cowrote the bestselling Perl Cookbook.
Return to weblogs.oreilly.com.
Weblog authors are solely responsible for the content
and accuracy of their weblogs, including opinions they
express, and O'Reilly Media, Inc., disclaims any and
all liabililty for that content, its accuracy, and
opinions it may contain.
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons License.