Installing .NET changes MSIE User-Agent
Yesterday I installed the .NET SDK on my home machine. I had been playing around with User-Agent strings, the text a Web browser uses to identify itself to a Web server, for another project. Before installing .NET, my MSIE 5.5 User-Agent string was:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0)
After installing .NET, I noticed that the User-Agent string had changed to:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 5.0; .NET CLR 1.0.2914)
This is nothing new, in that many companies have used User-Agent as the dumping ground for all sorts of nonsense for years. (In the example above, the string 'Mozilla' is a remnant of a time five years ago when some Web sites would show high-design content only to Netscape browsers -- which used Mozilla as a User-Agent string -- as these browsers supported non-standard HTML other browsers did not. Microsoft adopted the tag to avoid exclusion, and, well, it stuck.) It is interesting that the .NET CLR is advertised as though it were an operating system itself, which of course in a way it is.
Marc Hedlund is an entrepreneur working on a personal finance startup, Wesabe.
Comments on this weblog
Return to weblogs.oreilly.com.